|Depends on KDE 4.x|
|Submitted: May 30 2004|
Updated: Dec 25 2012
BoomBox is an audio player with built-in database for easy browsing of local music files. It has no playlist, instead it simply plays songs from current search results. These queries can be saved to give you something like "dynamic playlists". It also has support for queing up songs to be played, replacing much of the need for a playlist.
If you keep your music files well organised, or if you want to listen to songs just downloaded to a temporary folder, you can use the filesystem view (powered by the KIO library from KDE). BoomBox can also keep track of internet radio stations for you. And it can edit id3 tags in a very convenient way. And it can be controlled from another program using MPRIS2.
It does not play video and has no equaliser.
Audio players are a matter of taste, maybe this one suits you?
Full source code available from:
git clone git://boombox.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/boombox/boombox
2012-12-25, version 0.4.3:
Bug fix release.
- Bug fix: application crash at startup if shuffle was active when you quit before.
- Bug fix: should not be able to edit or enqueue albums in resultview.
2012-10-27, version 0.4.2:
Bug fix release.
- Fix for loading a new song when clicking "play" first thing after application startup, wasn't working with vlc and gStreamer phonon backends.
- Fix for automatically playing next song in playlist when using gStreamer phonon backend.
- Only update "current song" label once playback of next song actually starts, before this fix it was updated a few seconds before.
- Fix 15-20 second delay in startup if kde-telepathy is installed, was causing a dbus-deadlock with the kded daemon.
- Remove icons on song position and volume sliders in main user interface, looks cleaner.
2012-01-27, version 0.4.1:
Bug fix release.
- The "Now Playing" plasma applet now supports Mpris2 dbus interface so I could finally test support for this in BoomBox. Found a couple of issues and fixed those.
- I switched to a dark colour theme and found two places where it was always showing text in black colour. Fixed to follow system palette.
Besides those small problems BoomBox is still working just fine, no problems with the xine and GStreamer phonon backends. VLC backend seems to have issues.. many annoying behaviors when using that.
2011-04-01, version 0.4:
New release with minor fixes:
- Added a Help entry to the BoomBox menu and wrote documentation.
- Added titles to the toolbars, shown when right-clicking on a dockwidget.
- Renamed some actions to sound better
- Added the actions for the collection tab to the shortcuts editor
- Changed the function of "New Playlist" now saves current settings under new name instead of starting a new blank one.
- Compile fix for ubuntu 10.04
This is not a joke!
2011-03-25, version 0.4rc1:
Finally I have something good enough for a release! Took some two years... but during those two years I have also quite happily used it full time for myself.
So now I'm hoping to get some feedback on how this works for everybody else, hopefully it can reach more people thanks to the excellent build service that opensuse provides! Also big thanks to lubos lunak for the nice kde-obs-generator!
Please comment below for any feedback/questions, much appreciated! There is no documentation yet, hoping to have time for that soon (and also hoping that it isn't really needed!)
Development on a complete rewrite has started, today I pushed this work into a git repo on the sourceforge project space. Feel free to try it, but remember that it is work in progress. Not yet suitable for everyday usage. Added a screenshot of this new version as a teaser! :)
The rewrite uses KDE4 libraries, phonon, sqlite and taglib.
Small bugfix release.
So... it's been over a year since last release. Sorry for that. But at least now a much improved release is available. Most important changes:
changed to sqlite 3. This means you will need to remove the old database file ($HOME/.boombox/music.db) before starting the new version.
Added tag editing. Quite nice to use, imo.
Added playlist support. Uses a combobox in the main window.
Switched to taglib - Cleaner and makes mp3s get length field filled out.
Lots of fixes with character encodings. Should work now.
General cleanup and restrucuring of alot of code.
Now able to read pls files.
Added tooltips to display meta info in playlist.
Fixed the equalizer. Can actually be used now... =)
Scroll to song playing when pressing "Add & play"
Make browser refresh after db update.
Make mainbar buttons toggle.
Use path in playlists, making them work through db updates.
Fix esc on button in browser.
Show video window when playing video, keep track of user's setting.
URLs should have all their fields filled out.
Install a .desktop file.
use fromUtf8 in bbbackend, xine_get_meta_info
Hope you enjoy it! All feedback very welcome!