Depends on Qt 3.x
|Submitted: May 3 2005|
Updated: Oct 1 2010
KHdRecord is an audio recorder can record soundfiles from a sound card directly to the harddisk. You can use it like a tape-recorder, and sample into wave or directly into MP3.
KHdRecord has great Performance, uses very less memory and harddisk space and is as feature rich as a Sound Recorder could get!!!
You won't find any other Sound Recorder in Linux/Unix which could even come closer to KHdRecord!!! ;)
The program directly accesses the sound and the mixer device. If you use it as non-root, these devices must be accessible for the user. Because /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer are symbolic links on the most systems, the devices behind the links must be accessible.
Features: Advantages of KHdRecord over other so called sound recorders (e.g., KRec):
1. Can Record directly to MP3 (Precious time and disk space is saved)
2. Can Record directly to WAV (Precious time and disk space is saved)
3. Can Record direclty to OGG (Precious time and disk space is saved)
4. Can Record Playback (audio streams)
5. Very Small size, just 500KB
6. Easy to Configure (settings)
7. Easy to choose Output type.
8. Very neat interface (intuitive)
9. Just Works(tm)!!! as you've expected
10. Automatic File Numbering.
11. Can Split file in realtime(press split and a new file is created)
12. Can Split file as per Time duration (in sec)
13. Can do "Scheduled" Recording, see Record List (no need to wait for your program to start)
14. Can do "Scheduled" Stopping of current recording. (You are free to enjoy something else!)
15. can Adjust Recording Level
16. can adjust Master level
17. Analyze Mode to show the Recoding status (time left)!!!
18. Can Pause while Recording (good to skip commerical or unwanted audio)
19. Uses very Less CPU power
20. Uses very less Memory.
21. Can Record Real Media
22. Can Record Streaming MP3
23. Can Record MMS streams
24. Can Record Audio from Movie Playback.
25. Unlimited Recording (only limited by the Disk space)
26. Shows Volume Meter to better adjust sound volume for recording.
27. Totally Free - GPL License!!!
28. Can Record Skype Conversation!!!
29. Can record arts streams like 'artsrec' would do.
Recording Video's Audio, Streaming MP3, Real Streams, MMS Streams, etc. Streams from Amarok/noatun/real player/kaffeine/kmplayer etc. here are the steps:
a. Run KHdrecord before any sound application (to make sure that Sound Card is free (/dev/dsp))
b. So, start khdrecord from K->Multimedia->Direct-to-Disk Recording (KHdRecord)
c. run Amarok or Noatun etc. (open any Stream Real, or from www.shoutcast.com)
d. Press Record button on KHdRecord.
This is a SLACKWARE 10.x package:
To install in other Distros:
1. tar -zxvf *khdrecord*.tgz
2. cp opt/kde/bin/khdrecord /usr/bin
3. cp opt/kde/share/applnk/Multimedia/KHdRecord.desktop $KDEDIR/share/applnk/Multimedia
4. cp opt/kde/share/icons/default.kde/* $KDEDIR/share/icons/default.kde/
5. sync ; echo "to update kmenu"
SKYPE CONVERSATION RECORDING
We need to run 'artsd' with "Full Duplex"
1. run "kcmshell arts" (sound system)
2. click on Hardware tab
3. [x] enable Full Duplex
4. artsdsp -m khdrecord & ; echo "this starts khdrecord with arts sound+recording support ";
5. cd skype-220.127.116.11; echo "goto the *skype folder* where the sounds etc are stored, so that *call ring* in skype works! "
6. artsdsp -m ./skype; echo "This starts skype with arts support (mic enabled) which allows skype to send streams to arts. "
5. Press 'Start' in khdrecord to start recording SKYPE conversation!!!
I'm not the Author of the Program KHdRecord! I just compiled and made the shortcuts work!
I strongly feel that KHdRecord must be integrated into KDE, and 'krec' to be discarded for its numerous user unfriendliness!!!
krec - JustWon'tWork!(tm) certified!!! ;)
7.8-1: commented 'ARTSD' dependency, which allows to compile the program atleast in archlinux.
7.8 see homepage!
7.8-3 just added the icon in the package. No need to upgrade if you are happy with the current icon or no icon (in kmenu)
7.8-4 Made startup of KHdRecord smarter by checking whether artsd is running or not and, if yes then artsdsp -m khdrecord else simple 'khdrecord'!