Minimum required Qt 4.x
|Submitted: Apr 14 2007|
Updated: Jul 25 2015
Qtractor is an audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application written in C++ with the Qt framework. Target platform is Linux, where the Jack Audio Connection Kit (JACK) for audio and the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) for MIDI are the main infrastructures to evolve as a fairly-featured Linux desktop audio workstation GUI, specially dedicated to the personal home-studio.
- Multi-track audio and MIDI sequencing and recording.
- Developed on pure Qt C++ application and UI framework.
- Uses JACK for audio and ALSA sequencer for MIDI
as multimedia infrastructures.
- Traditional multi-track tape recorder control paradigm.
- Audio file formats support: OGG (via libvorbis),
MP3 (via libmad, playback only), WAV, FLAC, AIFF
and many, many more (via libsndfile).
- Standard MIDI files support (format 0 and 1).
- Non-destructive, non-linear editing.
- Unlimited number of tracks per session/project.
- Unlimited number of overlapping clips per track.
- XML encoded session/project description files (SDI).
- Point-and-click, multi-select, drag-and-drop interaction
(drag, move, drop, cut, copy, paste, paste-repeat, delete, split, merge).
- Unlimited undo/redo.
- Built-in mixer and monitor controls.
- Built-in connection patchbay control and persistence
- LADSPA, DSSI, native VST and LV2 plug-ins support.
- Unlimited number of plug-ins per track or bus.
- Plug-in presets, programs and chunk/configurations support.
- Unlimited audio effect send/return inserts per track or bus.
- Audio/MIDI clip fade-in/out (linear, quadratic, cubic).
- Audio/MIDI clip gain/volume, normalize, export.
- Audio/MIDI track and plugin parameter automation (dynamic curves,
sample&hold, linear and spline modes).
- Audio clip time-stretching (WSOLA-like or via librubberband),
pitch-shifting (via librubberband ) and seamless sample-rate
conversion (via libsamplerate).
- Audio/MIDI track export (mix-down, merge).
- Audio/MIDI metronome bar/beat clicks.
- Unlimited tempo/time-signature map.
- Unlimited location/bar markers.
- MIDI clip editor (matrix/piano roll).
- MIDI instrument definitions (a-la Cakewalk(tm) (*.ins));
SoundFont (*.sf2) and MIDI Names XML (*.midnam) files also supported..
- MIDI controller mapping/learn/assignment (mixer and plug-in parameters).
- MIDI system exclusive (SysEx) setups.
- JACK transport sync master/slave.
- JACK session support.
- NSM (Non Session Management) support.
- MMC control surface enabled.
- MIDI Song Position cueing support.
- Configurable keyboard shortcuts.
0.7.0 2015-07-24 Muon Base Beta
- Complete rewrite of Qt4 vs. Qt5 configure builds.
- Revised MIDI Controlllers catch-up algorithm.
- Mixer multi-row layout gets a little bit of a fairness fix.
- Non-continuous MIDI Controllers now have their Hook and Latch options disabled as those are found not applicable,
- As an alternative to PC-keyboard shortcuts, MIDI controllers are now also assignable and configurable for any of the main menu command actions, all from the same old configuration dialog (Help/Shortcuts...).
- Fixed missing Track and Clip sub-menus from Edit/context-menu that were found AWOL ever since after the Lazy Tachyon beta release (> 0.6.6).
- An off-by-one bar position (as in BBT, bar, beat and ticks) has been purportedly fixed as long as LV2 Time/Position atom event transfer goes.
- French (fr) translation line to desktop file added (patch by Olivier Humbert, thanks).
- A new top-level widget window geometry state save and restore sub-routine is now in effect.
- Improved MIDI clip editor resilience across tempo and time-signature changes.
- Keyboard shortcuts configuration (Help/Shortcuts...) now lists complete menu/action path where available.
- Fixed in-flight VST plugin editor (GUI) resizing.
- Added support to LV2UI_portMap extension, found really handy for the cases where you have multiple plugins with different port configurations and a single common UI to drive them all (pull request by Hanspeter Portner aka. ventosus, thanks).
O.6.7 2015-05-27 Lepton Acid Beta
- MIDI clip editor (aka. piano-roll) position, size, and view/event type criteria are now persistent, across session and user preferences application state.
- Generic plugin form widget position is now also preserved across open/save session cycles.
- MIDI clip editor resilience is about to get an improvement, fe. it doesn't close on stopping record/overdub anymore.
- Introducing (JACK) Timebase master setting as an option to Transport mode (cf. View/Options.../General/Transport/Timebase).
- LV2 plug-in MIDI/Event support now slanted for deprecation.
- Spanish (es) translation added, by avid Reyes Pucheta.
- It's live: audio track export (cf. Track/Export Tracks/Audio...) has been deeply refactored to finally include MIDI track/instrument plugins rendering (aka. freeze) on selected audio output buses on mix-down. (EXPERIMENTAL)
- MIDI file player now does (N)RPN 14-bit controller events.
- Track properties dialog output bus switch fix/optimization; also fixed multiple DSSI instance reference count on close.
- Fixed for some strict tests for Qt4 vs. Qt5 configure builds.
- German (de) translation update (by Guido Scholz, thanks).
O.6.6 2015-03-29 Lazy Tachyon Beta
O.6.5 2015-01-30 Fermion Ray Beta
O.6.4 2014-11-24 Baryon Throne Beta
O.6.3 2014-09-22 Armed Hadron Beta
O.6.2 2014-07-07 Boson Walk Beta
O.6.1 2014-04-29 Bitsy Sweet Beta
0.6.0 2014-03-21 Byte Bald Beta.