|Submitted: Dec 4 2007|
Updated: Jan 19 2008
Get GoogLyrics: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=73850
* DO NOT USE THIS SCRIPT RIGHT NOW *
An update will be available soon that will fix the current Scroogle issue. Sorry for any inconvenience. A renaming might be inorder, so, watchout for a Googlyrics
I've been annoyed by the low yield on some of my more obscure music with many of the Amarok lyric search scripts available. I'd used a program waaay back when in my windows days called EvilLyrics, they had an interesting idea, Google for the lyrics then rip them off known websites. Well, I decided this is what Amarok needed! After a quick day of scripting, here's the result: a true lyrics metasearch script. Since google's SOAP API is crap (now doesn't allow you to register keys and returns dramatically different results to web search), I decided I'd scrape. Since Scroogle had a cleaner markup, I decided it'd be even better to scrape then just Google (and the paranoid might like me more or something). Anyways, the script searches scroogle (hence the name Scrooglyrics) for the song lyrics, then pulls them off the known sites. Adding sites should be easy so, tell me what sites you'd like to see and I'll be sure to get them in next release! Remember, these sites should be reputable ones that show up in the first 20 results on google for your song's lyrics.
To use this script you must have the WWW::Mechanize perl module installed. Your distrobution probably has a package for it, but, in the case they don't, you can do this the perl way, su to root then use cpan to install each of them, ex:
---- OR ----
If you're on ubuntu or debian, you can simply apt it with this command:
sudo apt-get install libwww-mechanize-perl
I'd like as much input on this as possible, so, if you've tested it, please comment! Your opinion is wanted :)
If you're able to, please report bugs directly to our bugtracker at:
- Major rewrite
- Now easier than ever to add lyrics sites or disable them in the source (options screen coming soon)
- enhanced whitespace cleaning.
- overall cleaner code
- Now spoofs user agents to IE6 on Windows to work around any weak blocking attempts.
- Multiple search queries to find song, starts most accurate, works down to least (this should remove errors where an incorrect page is ripped)
- Added support for themadmusicarchive.com
- Updated sing365 regex
- Supports lyriki.com
- Supports lyricspy
- Now supports local lyrics!
To use local lyrics, make a folder called "lyrics" in your home directory and store files named either as Title.txt or as Artist - Title.txt
Note that these are case sensitive, so be careful before you say it doesn't work.
- Several major changes UPGRADE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED!
- Script will now fail properly if no lyrics are found
- Now fails properly when there's no connection
- Fixed several regex's which were not working properly
- Whitespace problems are now solved for several sites
- No more crashing on connection problems
- Now removes parts of title in parenthesis.
- Added in README and COPYING for about dialog
- Fixed bug in artists or song name containing special characters.
- Fixed bug where artist name is not sent in search request
- Added some extra debugging code
- Fixed lyrics007 linebreak bug
- Now removes starting "The" in artist names, seems to get better results
- Removed depenencies on HTML::Entities and HTML::Strip, just needs Mechanize now.
- BIG Update!
- Now searches songmeanings.net and wearethelyrics.com
- now only googles for results in sites needed
- now will keep looking if a regex fails instead of dying
- big thanks to mattepiu and neoeno for their work towards this version, great job!
- Stay tuned for a version that will include modules.
- Fixed capturing for actionext.com and azlyrics.com
- Added a little extra debugging, if anyone's having problems, pull up the output window for the script and see if a regex has failed.
- Fixed packaging error
- Added letssingit.com and lyricwiki
- code cleanup, now passes use strict
- Bug fix :) No more last-lyrics bug. I hope.
- Added sign365.com support. I'll be working on that last-lyrics bug for next release.
Initial release, currently has support for 3 lyrics search websites, azlyrics.com, lyrics007.com and actionext.com. This will probably be expanded later, but, I easily find most of my more obscure songs with just these 3! This my friends is why we need a lyrics metasearch.