|Depends on KDE 4.x|
|Submitted: Jan 14 2014|
Updated: Feb 21 2014
This tool is convenient link handler, passing them to youtube-dl. File name is properly detected by youtube-dl. In case of multiple download modes for different quality and formats they are listed in menu (using youtube-dl -F option);
Run ./install as root.
There are different ways for that, and to keep it simpler i propose this command:
$ sudo ./install || su -c install
For packaging variable DESTDIR is honored.
- optionally: some terminal emulator - previously was used to see progress, but now it is essential, using kdialog
Place launcher on reachable for drag-n-drop place (panel, dock, etc), then just drag links from browsers to launcher.
Tested with konqueror, firefox and seamonkey, most other should work as well.
You may get some brief help, launching it directly by click.
Begining from version 1.2.2, configuration files are created anyway if they don't exist, otherwise they are not changed. If you want to use default progress monitor, using kdialog, disable all download tools and terminal emulators.
Configuration is done currently by editing of configuration files in text editor. Description of files may be found in brief help. To disable unwanted variants just comment them by sharp character (#), no need to remove them.
CHOOSING DOWNLOAD TOOLS
Begining from version 1.3, progress is displayed essentially, using kdialog.
Also download process may be fully managed by various download managers, using detected link. However there is no way for them to detect proper file name. The only hope is when they accept filename argument, and kde copy tool, which is default list, does it (its another feature is essential integration with KDE job control system).
Terminal emulator, initially used for progress tracking, may be still useful if you get some youtube-dl bug. It is probed using list in "~/.config/youtube-dl-applet/term".
1. Help and formats selection menu
2. Progress dialog in action
3. Same as 2, but using kde copy tool
- Integration with KDE KIO job control. May need another big refactoring, probably using other language.
- kdialog error messages from formats menu generator somehow missed /dev/null
- dev ooops: forgot to remove debug stuff, which printed generated menu and canceled program
- Fixed formats list parser - now works not only with youtube
- Last element in formats list was not shown
- Show url's as url's in all dialogs
- regression: Download formats menu did not appear
- Show error text and cancel if youtube-dl produced error on first usage attempt
- Formated text in progress dialog
- regression: Did not remember last used directory
- Code refactoring
- Added support for external download tools
- Added progress dialog for terminal-less mode
- Terminal emulator is disabled by default for progress dialog
- Support for comments and empty lines in files with variants for probing
- Updated readme, extended startup help text
- Create or load non-existing configuration files even without any work
- Added formats menu (auto-detection of best format by youtube-dl is not so perfect yet)
- Changed script backend shell to bash
- In some cases real working dir in terminal emulator was not same as in $PWD variable
- Write default term file if not found
- Extending term config file role: accept list of terminal emulators, probed begining from first
- Finally fixed DEBUG implementation code
- Set console title for terminal with runing youtube-dl
- Questionable usefulness of url list entry text box. Display usage help instead.
- Use desktop notification system in progress-less mode
- Typo in code comments
- Wrong code in DEBUG mode, causing it to be always enabled
- Added debug mode (use environment variable DEBUG=yes)
- In first start could not save configs because did not create config dir
- Did not use urls list from text box when started without arguments
- Added copyright info
- Added copying information to package;
- Changed layout of config files: now all files are in ~/.config/youtube-dl-applet
- Trying to find youtube-dl, if failed - ask user to select it
- Some comments in code, mostly for markup
- Info in readme, how to specify terminal
Version 1.0: Initial release