|Minimum required KDE 4.x|
|Submitted: Apr 10 2010|
Updated: Jul 12 2010
(the screenshots are from version 0.0.5)
Please note this is a development version of PlaybaK, you may see a lot of bugs and there are missing a lot of basic features like repeat or aspect ratio.
The idea of creating PlaybaK was based upon a mockup created by menace1982 that you can see here: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/A+Media+Player+for+KDE4?content=94472
PlaybaK is (or will be) a combination of the best functions of several multimedia players and is capable of playing music and videos (soon CDs, DVDs and photos). It is able to distinguish different types of videos (music videos, TV shows, movies, personal videos,...) but it still has some bugs. PlaybaK allows you to read the song\'s lyrics (soon it will fetch the lyrics and timed lyrics if available) and also allows you to know more about the singers with a brief search made by PlaybaK itself.
Certain basic functions are not available yet. As an example, for now, there are no visualizations due to Phonon\'s limitations.
A further development of PlaybaK will depend on everyone\'s opinion on it. Therefore, it would be appreciated if you commented below, reporting opinions, problems, suggestions...
We hope you will enjoy KDE Media Player.
How to add timed lyrics
1. Search the lyrics
2. Open the music on KDE Media Player
3. Right click the music in the playlist and click "Edit lyrics..."
4. Paste the lyrics you found.
5. Do the same for each line: move the cursor to the line, set its time
5. Click "Save", play the music and press record button located in the middle top box (you should see the lyrics on it, if you don't, double click the song).
6. Click the bottom of the box when someone says the next line.
7. Click save button once you're done
8. Disable record mode pressing the button again
9. Double click the music in the playlist and enjoy
(later it will be possible to download timed lyrics)
Coming features on next version (0.0.8)
- Subtitles support
- Album cover fetch
- Better Nepomuk integration (if possible)
- Better collection (including artist/album/track editors)
- Brazilian Portuguese language
April 11, 2010
Source code was released
I'm new in KDE and QT programming, my program has some weird, useless or bad code. I used a KDevelop template to start programming KDE Media Player. I would like if someone could make DEB and RPM packages.
May 8, 2010
KDE Media Player 0.0.6 released
- Collection - up to now it can look for files and organize them by itself, you can't manage the files yet and it might not show some found musics it found.
- Improved multimedia information - KDE Media Player saves the picture of the artist so it won't donload it all the time and it can also be shown in other places like system tray's icon tooltip
- Czech and Portuguese(European) languages available (French comming soon) - media information page will look for information in your language (Czech or Portuguese)
- Some bug fixes (lyrics editor now works)
- All options in setting's general page now work
May 20, 2010
Added a poll about the name of KDE Media Player
June 8, 2010
Closed old poll and created a new one for the names PlaybaK and KoolPlayer
July 11, 2010
PlaybaK 0.0.7 released
- New name and icon (thanks to menace1982)
- Collection improvements: no more SQL, it now uses simple text files; it is now possible to update the collection; some people couldn't have collection working because they had a lot of files, it should be fixed now
- Compact mode (it isn't that compact yet)
- Video area isn't black anymore while playing songs: It let's you rate your songs and suggests you other songs to listen to
- Nepomuk integration (unfortunately my desktop got broken and I can't make Nepomuk work on my laptop so Nepomuk integration can have some bugs and isn't complete yet)
- Added some basic features like repeat and random
- Available in: Czech, English, German, Italian, Portuguese and Russian
- Bug fixes