Perl Audio Converter is a tool for converting multiple audio types from one format to another. It supports AAC, AC3, AIFF, APE, AU, AVR, BONK, CAF, CDR, FAP, FLA, FLAC, IRCAM, LA, LPAC, M4A, MAT, MAT4, MAT5, MMF, MP2, MP3, MP4, MPC, MPP, NIST, OFR, OFS, OGG, PAC, PAF, PVF, RA, RAM, RAW, SD2, SF, SHN, SMP, SND, SPX, TTA, VOC, W64, WAV, WMA, and WV. It can also convert audio from the following video extensions: RM, RV, ASF, DivX, MPG, MKV, MPEG, AVI, MOV, OGM, QT, VCD, SVCD, M4V, NSV, NUV, PSP, SMK, VOB, FLV, and WMV. A CD ripping function with CDDB support, batch conversion, tag preservation for most supported formats, independent tag reading/writing, and extensions for Amarok, Dolphin, and Konqueror are also provided.
language files can be downloaded from: http://pacpl.sourceforge.net
It should be noted that the language files are not actual .po files. They are simply named as such, and should be opened/edited with a normal text editor when translating.
+ added support for KDE4 (konqueror/dolphin) service menus
- removed all previously included mime types.
- removed support for KDE3 (konqueror/dolphin) service menus. the old pacpl.desktop can still be found in the source package under plugins/d3lphin for those that still need it.
* the amarok script no longer works in 2.0* due to various changes. a new one is in the works however, and will be included in a future release.
% fixed typo in tag string when encoding mp4/m4a using faac. thanks to Steve Harrold for reporting the issue.
% fixed FLAC encoders list in codecs.conf.
% fixed Makefile.in to include translations from the last release. thanks to Bram Schoenmakers for spotting the fowl-up
+ added Romanian translation thanks to Sabadac Petru-Gabriel
+ added Dutch translation thanks to Sander Pientka
+ added Italian translation thanks to Marco Bignami
+ added flake to supported FLAC encoders
* updated Russian translation
* updated Turkish translation thanks to Osman Karagoz
* updated mime type names to prevent conflicts
% fixed mp4 encoding/tagging via ffmpeg. thanks to Neil Stewart for reporting the changes in the latest ffmpeg.
% fixed a few typos/errors in the man page. thanks to Reuben Thomas.
+ added encode/decode support for m4b (iPod audio book)
+ added d3lphin to the configure script
+ added option --defopts. this allows you to turn off/remove all default encoder options set by the program, and allows you to completely customize them via --eopts.
* updated po directory (moved to /usr/share/pacpl/locale)
% fixed various inconsistencies in Makefile.in and configure.ac thanks to Cristian Greco for the patches, suggestions, and Debian package.
% fixed link for ape encoder/decoder (mac) in README file
% fixed bug when encoding to mp3 using bladeenc. --eopts was not being read into the command.
+ added ability to encode to rm
* updated Polish translation
* updated Estonian translation
* updated Russian translation
% fixed typo when trying to find normalize. thanks to FErki for spotting it.
% fixed WMA tag read bug. thanks to Andrew Neitsch for reporting the issue
% fixed other minor issues
+ added ability to select alternate encoders/decoders for various formats
+ added codecs.conf to set desired default encoders/decoders
+ added options --normalize & --nopts
+ added notice to print total completed/failed conversions
+ added support for audio format mmf via ffmpeg
+ added Turkish translation thanks to Cantek Cetin
+ added Estonian translation thanks to Priit Jõerüüt
+ added Catalan translation thanks to Xavi BS
+ added Russian translation thanks to Illarion Khapersky
+ added French translation thanks to Guillaume Loyot
* updated man page to include sndfile-convert in the "see also" section
* updated application to remove partial files when encoding fails.
* updated all translations to include new phrases (att: translators)
* updated user modules (new syntax implemented) thanks to Stefano Sabatini
* updated -v switch to be used for verbose, not version
* updated the pnotice() sub to only print the banner once. thanks to Robert Krawitz for this, and many other suggestions.
* updated mod-install.sh to force install Audio::FLAC::Header. this may or may not be necessary depending on your specific distribution and/or installed libraries.
% fixed typo in mod-install-kubuntu.sh
% fixed a few inconsistencies in the code
% fixed parenthesis/forward-slash in directory/filename bug
% fixed ac3 decoding (ffmpeg can only encode to ac3, use mplayer to decode)
% fixed input file deletion bug (using --delete) when ^C was pressed.
- removed inclusion of uneeded Perl module Pod::Usage
+ added Chinese Simplified translation thanks to Ni Hui
+ added Spanish translation thanks to Antonio
+ added --keep option which prevents re-encoding files matching the destination format.
+ added the following formats from sndfile-convert (part of the libsndfile package): caf, fap, ircam, mat, mat4, mat5, nist, paf, pvf, sd2, sf, w64
* updated en.po (renamed to en_US.po)
% fixed typo in extra/README.module
% fixed a few typos in the man page
% fixed lang sub to handle .uft8/UTF-8 extensions
% fixed apostrophe in directory name bug. this affected all GUI service menus and plugins with kdialog using the --getexistingdirectory option.