Minimum required Qt 4.x
|Submitted: Apr 14 2007|
Updated: Sep 22 2014
Qtractor is an audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application written in C++ with the Qt4 framework. Target platform is Linux, where the Jack Audio Connection Kit (JACK) for audio and the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) for MIDI are the main infrastructures to evolve as a fairly-featured Linux desktop audio workstation GUI, specially dedicated to the personal home-studio.
- Multi-track audio and MIDI sequencing and recording.
- Developed on pure Qt4 C++ application framework
(no Qt3 nor KDE dependencies).
- Uses JACK for audio and ALSA sequencer for MIDI
as multimedia infrastructures.
- Traditional multi-track tape recorder control paradigm.
- Audio file formats support: OGG (via libvorbis),
MP3 (via libmad, playback only), WAV, FLAC, AIFF
and many, many more (via libsndfile).
- Standard MIDI files support (format 0 and 1).
- Non-destructive, non-linear editing.
- Unlimited number of tracks per session/project.
- Unlimited number of overlapping clips per track.
- XML encoded session/project description files (SDI).
- Point-and-click, multi-select, drag-and-drop interaction
(drag, move, drop, cut, copy, paste, paste-repeat, delete, split, merge).
- Unlimited undo/redo.
- Built-in mixer and monitor controls.
- Built-in connection patchbay control and persistence
- LADSPA, DSSI, native VST and LV2 plug-ins support.
- Unlimited number of plug-ins per track or bus.
- Plug-in presets, programs and chunk/configurations support.
- Unlimited audio effect send/return inserts per track or bus.
- Audio/MIDI clip fade-in/out (linear, quadratic, cubic).
- Audio/MIDI clip gain/volume, normalize, export.
- Audio/MIDI track and plugin parameter automation (dynamic curves,
sample&hold, linear and spline modes).
- Audio clip time-stretching (WSOLA-like or via librubberband),
pitch-shifting (via librubberband ) and seamless sample-rate
conversion (via libsamplerate).
- Audio/MIDI track export (mix-down, merge).
- Audio/MIDI metronome bar/beat clicks.
- Unlimited tempo/time-signature map.
- Unlimited location/bar markers.
- MIDI clip editor (matrix/piano roll).
- MIDI instrument definitions (a-la Cakewalk(tm) (*.ins));
SoundFont (*.sf2) and MIDI Names XML (*.midnam) files also supported..
- MIDI controller mapping/learn/assignment (mixer and plug-in parameters).
- MIDI system exclusive (SysEx) setups.
- JACK transport sync master/slave.
- JACK session support.
- NSM (Non Session Management) support.
- MMC control surface enabled.
- MIDI Song Position cueing support.
- Configurable keyboard shortcuts.
O.6.3 2014-09-22 Armed Hadron Beta
- Make the mouse-wheel to scroll the plugin list views, when not hovering a direct-access parameter slider.
- Mixer widget gets (un)dockable Inputs and Outputs panels, also with their respective title captions.
- Plugin instantiation is now constrained as much to prevent any audio channel output overriding.
- Existing plugin presets may now be selected right(-click) from plugin list context-menu (ticket by Harry van Haaren, thanks).
- So-called "painting" over multiple selected event values, while on the MIDI clip editor view pane below the main piano-roll (eg. note velocities, controller values, etc.) is now split into two similar painting modes, whether the sub-menu Edit/Select Mode/Edit Draw is set on (free-hand) or off (linear).
- Drag-and-copy of plug-in instances across tracks or buses (ie. cloning) now also copies the direct access parameter setting (ticket by Holger Marzen, thanks).
- File/Save As... now prompts and suggests an incremental backup name for existing sessions files.
- Zooming in/out increment is now augmented by whether shift /ctrl keyboard modifiers are set (on a ticket request by
Holger Marzen, thanks).
- LV2 Time position event messages for plugin atom ports that support it is now being implemented.
- Attempt to break extremely long audio file peak generation on session close or program exit (as reported by EternalX,
- MIDI Controllers Hook and Invert properties are now properly saved for tracks (after bug report by Nicola Pandini, thanks).
- A segmentation fault when closing with VST plugins open has been hopefully fixed (after a patch by EternalX, thanks).
- Messages standard output capture has been slightly improved as for non-blocking i/o, whenever available.
- Automation curve node editing has been slightly improved in regard to time positioning and resolution.
O.6.2 2014-07-07 Boson Walk Beta
- Prevent linear and spline automation curve modes for all integer valued subjects. Also, make sure those values are rounded to the nearest integer away from zero.
- Fixed save of LV2 Presets for plugins with state files.
- A man page has beed added (making up Gürkan Sengün's work on debian, thanks).
- When moving plugins by eg. drag-and-dropping across tracks, automation curves were being left behind, maybe leading to unpredictable mistaken behavior. Hopefully, not anymore.
- Translations install directory change.
- Automation curves are now automatically re-adjusted to tempo map node changes (after a ticket by Holger Marzen, thanks).
- Audio/MIDI files or plugins found missing on session load are now subject for an explicit modal warning message and prompt for an immediate session backup salvage.
- Changing instrument plugin programs is now an undo/redo-able command operation, especially for DSSI but also for plugins that come with the LV2 Programs interface extension support (http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/ns/lv2ext/programs).
- Drawing, selecting and/or resizing of MIDI note events that extend across tempo/time-signature changes is now made a bit more correctly over the MIDI clip editor (aka. piano-roll), especially regarding to current snap-to-beat setting (after an outstanding ticket by yubatake, thanks).
- Once again, audio frame/MIDI time drift correction has been slightly refactored to improve MIDI input monitor and timing.
- Discrete automation curve node values may now be edited via a numerical entry floating spin-box on double-click (as yet another request by AutoStatic aka. Jeremy Jongepier, thanks).
- Pressing shift/ctrl keyboard modifiers while double-clicking on a plugin list entry now briefly reverses the current View/Options.../Plugins/Editor/Open plugin's editor (GUI) by default option preference.
- Fixed an old crash lurker when switching output buses that implied a change on the number of audio channels, while on tracks that have (auto-)monitor turned on and at least one active plugin in chain (yet another ticket by AutoStatic aka. Jeremy Jongepier, thanks).
- MIDI Controller assignment (aka MIDI learn) and/or automation of plugins (de)activation state has been added (as requested by AutoStatic aka. Jeremy Jongepier, thanks).
- LV2 UI Idle and Show interfaces support added.
- Allow the build system to include an user specified LDFLAGS (patch by Alessio Treglia aka. quadrispro, thanks).
O.6.1 2014-04-29 Bitsy Sweet Beta
- New user preference option added as View/Options.../Display/Transport/Hold auto-scrolling (follow play-head) on edits (after requests by Holger Marzen and Louigi Verona, thanks).
- All color chooser dialogs were missing proper titles.
- Audio peak file re-generation and clean-up has been hopefully fixed and cache optimized (re. drawing audio clip waveforms).
- Fixed initial session snap-per-beat setting on main toolbar.
- Clip/Export...'ed files are now made persistent, no questions asked (after a ticket by Oliver Kester, thanks).
- Portuguese (pt) translation added (by Esteban Viveros, thanks).
0.6.0 2014-03-21 Byte Bald Beta.