Minimum required Qt 4.x
|Submitted: Apr 14 2007|
Updated: May 27 2015
Qtractor is an audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application written in C++ with the Qt framework. Target platform is Linux, where the Jack Audio Connection Kit (JACK) for audio and the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) for MIDI are the main infrastructures to evolve as a fairly-featured Linux desktop audio workstation GUI, specially dedicated to the personal home-studio.
- Multi-track audio and MIDI sequencing and recording.
- Developed on pure Qt C++ application and UI framework.
- Uses JACK for audio and ALSA sequencer for MIDI
as multimedia infrastructures.
- Traditional multi-track tape recorder control paradigm.
- Audio file formats support: OGG (via libvorbis),
MP3 (via libmad, playback only), WAV, FLAC, AIFF
and many, many more (via libsndfile).
- Standard MIDI files support (format 0 and 1).
- Non-destructive, non-linear editing.
- Unlimited number of tracks per session/project.
- Unlimited number of overlapping clips per track.
- XML encoded session/project description files (SDI).
- Point-and-click, multi-select, drag-and-drop interaction
(drag, move, drop, cut, copy, paste, paste-repeat, delete, split, merge).
- Unlimited undo/redo.
- Built-in mixer and monitor controls.
- Built-in connection patchbay control and persistence
- LADSPA, DSSI, native VST and LV2 plug-ins support.
- Unlimited number of plug-ins per track or bus.
- Plug-in presets, programs and chunk/configurations support.
- Unlimited audio effect send/return inserts per track or bus.
- Audio/MIDI clip fade-in/out (linear, quadratic, cubic).
- Audio/MIDI clip gain/volume, normalize, export.
- Audio/MIDI track and plugin parameter automation (dynamic curves,
sample&hold, linear and spline modes).
- Audio clip time-stretching (WSOLA-like or via librubberband),
pitch-shifting (via librubberband ) and seamless sample-rate
conversion (via libsamplerate).
- Audio/MIDI track export (mix-down, merge).
- Audio/MIDI metronome bar/beat clicks.
- Unlimited tempo/time-signature map.
- Unlimited location/bar markers.
- MIDI clip editor (matrix/piano roll).
- MIDI instrument definitions (a-la Cakewalk(tm) (*.ins));
SoundFont (*.sf2) and MIDI Names XML (*.midnam) files also supported..
- MIDI controller mapping/learn/assignment (mixer and plug-in parameters).
- MIDI system exclusive (SysEx) setups.
- JACK transport sync master/slave.
- JACK session support.
- NSM (Non Session Management) support.
- MMC control surface enabled.
- MIDI Song Position cueing support.
- Configurable keyboard shortcuts.
O.6.7 2015-05-27 Lepton Acid Beta
- MIDI clip editor (aka. piano-roll) position, size, and view/event type criteria are now persistent, across session and user preferences application state.
- Generic plugin form widget position is now also preserved across open/save session cycles.
- MIDI clip editor resilience is about to get an improvement, fe. it doesn't close on stopping record/overdub anymore.
- Introducing (JACK) Timebase master setting as an option to Transport mode (cf. View/Options.../General/Transport/Timebase).
- LV2 plug-in MIDI/Event support now slanted for deprecation.
- Spanish (es) translation added, by avid Reyes Pucheta.
- It's live: audio track export (cf. Track/Export Tracks/Audio...) has been deeply refactored to finally include MIDI track/instrument plugins rendering (aka. freeze) on selected audio output buses on mix-down. (EXPERIMENTAL)
- MIDI file player now does (N)RPN 14-bit controller events.
- Track properties dialog output bus switch fix/optimization; also fixed multiple DSSI instance reference count on close.
- Fixed for some strict tests for Qt4 vs. Qt5 configure builds.
- German (de) translation update (by Guido Scholz, thanks).
O.6.6 2015-03-29 Lazy Tachyon Beta
- MIDI clip record/reopen to/from SMF format 0 has been fixed.
- LV2 and VST plugins GUI editor widget position is preserved across hide/show cycles.
- Added application description as freedesktop.org's [url=http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/appdata/]AppData[/url].
- Added a "Don't ask this again" prompt option to zip/archive extrated directory removal/replace warning messages.
- MIDI clip editor (aka. piano-roll) gets lingering notes properly shown while on record/overdubbing.
- Current highlighted client/port connections are now drawn with thicker connector lines.
- Fixing segfaults due to QClipboard::mimeData() returning an invalid null pointer while on Qt5 and Weston.
- Return of an old hack/fix for some native VST plugins with GUI editor, on whether to skip the explicit shared library unloading on close and thus avoid some mysterious crashes on session and/or application exit.
- Force reset of plugin selection list when any of the plugin search paths change (in View/Options.../Plugins/Paths).
- Recursive VST plugin search is now in effect for inventory and discovery on path sub-directories (VST only).
- Non-dummy scannig for regular VST, non-shell plugins, were doomed to infinite-loop freezes on discovery, now fixed.
O.6.5 2015-01-30 Fermion Ray Beta
O.6.4 2014-11-24 Baryon Throne Beta
O.6.3 2014-09-22 Armed Hadron Beta
O.6.2 2014-07-07 Boson Walk Beta
O.6.1 2014-04-29 Bitsy Sweet Beta
0.6.0 2014-03-21 Byte Bald Beta.