Depends on Qt 4.x
|Submitted: Apr 14 2007|
Updated: Oct 7 2013
Qtractor is an audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application written in C++ with the Qt4 framework. Target platform is Linux, where the Jack Audio Connection Kit (JACK) for audio and the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) for MIDI are the main infrastructures to evolve as a fairly-featured Linux desktop audio workstation GUI, specially dedicated to the personal home-studio.
- Multi-track audio and MIDI sequencing and recording.
- Developed on pure Qt4 C++ application framework
(no Qt3 nor KDE dependencies).
- Uses JACK for audio and ALSA sequencer for MIDI
as multimedia infrastructures.
- Traditional multi-track tape recorder control paradigm.
- Audio file formats support: OGG (via libvorbis),
MP3 (via libmad, playback only), WAV, FLAC, AIFF
and many, many more (via libsndfile).
- Standard MIDI files support (format 0 and 1).
- Non-destructive, non-linear editing.
- Unlimited number of tracks per session/project.
- Unlimited number of overlapping clips per track.
- XML encoded session/project description files (SDI).
- Point-and-click, multi-select, drag-and-drop interaction
(drag, move, drop, cut, copy, paste, paste-repeat, delete, split, merge).
- Unlimited undo/redo.
- Built-in mixer and monitor controls.
- Built-in connection patchbay control and persistence
- LADSPA, DSSI, native VST and LV2 plug-ins support.
- Unlimited number of plug-ins per track or bus.
- Plug-in presets, programs and chunk/configurations support.
- Unlimited audio effect send/return inserts per track or bus.
- Audio/MIDI clip fade-in/out (linear, quadratic, cubic).
- Audio/MIDI clip gain/volume, normalize, export.
- Audio/MIDI track and plugin parameter automation (dynamic curves,
sample&hold, linear and spline modes).
- Audio clip time-stretching (WSOLA-like or via librubberband),
pitch-shifting (via librubberband ) and seamless sample-rate
conversion (via libsamplerate).
- Audio/MIDI track export (mix-down, merge).
- Audio/MIDI metronome bar/beat clicks.
- Unlimited tempo/time-signature map.
- Unlimited location/bar markers.
- MIDI clip editor (matrix/piano roll).
- MIDI instrument definitions (a-la Cakewalk(tm) (*.ins));
SoundFont (*.sf2) and MIDI Names XML (*.midnam) files also supported..
- MIDI controller mapping/learn/assignment (mixer and plug-in parameters).
- MIDI system exclusive (SysEx) setups.
- JACK transport sync master/slave.
- JACK session support.
- NSM (Non Session Management) support.
- MMC control surface enabled.
- MIDI Song Position cueing support.
- Configurable keyboard shortcuts.
0.5.11 2013-10-07 The Lima Oscar
- Adding a track now inserts it after the current one, if any; one can also drag and move a track below the last one in the track list (main view left pane).
- Extended Edit/Select Mode/Automation: multi-selection mode, cut, copy, paste and delete of current track's automation curve nodes, now reached implementation ready status.
- Another old silent bug bites the dust: changing track names were dropping any track gain/volume and panning automation curves when saving the session.
- A primeval processing bug has been sorted out: aux-sends to audio output buses that just appear to be after the input bus where they're inserted were being left muted and silent (on a ticket follow-up by Holger Marzen, thanks).
- Fixed a sure crash bug exposed when processing of aux-send plugins when inserted too early on audio input buses chain (after a ticket report by Holger Marzen, thanks).
- Allow the build system to include an user specified CFLAGS (patch by Cristian Morales Vega, thanks).
- Shift/Ctrl keyboard modifiers now set to extend current clip selection while in main track view's Edit/Select Mode/Range, Rectangle modes.
- Main Edit/Select Mode/Automation icon retouched to look a bit more obvious and intuitive, hopefully ;)
- Allow to change the velocities/values of the current selected events which have the exact same onset times and hide beyhond each other on the MIDI clip editor's pane below the main view piano-roll (ie. the one that represents MIDI event values as a bar chart).
- Fixed some problematic playback/export muting and annoying cleanup freezing, due on audio tracks with too many clips eg. more than hundred clip splits (hopefully fixes an issue reported by Louigi Verona, thanks).
- LV2 UI resize feature support/control added.
- Fixed dedicated MIDI control and MIDI metronome port connection restore conflict (thanks to jhammen catch & patch:).
- New user preference option added: reverse middle-button role to Shift/Ctrl keyboard state, in special regard to edit-head/tail vs. play-head positioning while on the main track and MIDI clip editor (aka. piano-roll) views.
0.5.10 2013-07-18 The Kilo Papa
- Default drum-key note names are now properly showing on MIDI tracks that are assigned to known drum/percussive instrument patches (eg. SoundFont 2 (.sf2) bank 128).
- Time display format (frames, clock-time or BBT) may now be changed from the context-menu on any time entry spin-box.
- LV2 plugin support is now tightly tied to liblilv; the same tie applies to LV2 plugin UI support and libsuil and vice-versa.
- Mixer buses racks (ie. left/input and right/output panes) are now both kept fixed-width when whole mixer window is resized.
- Unconditional LV2 Dyn(amic)-manifest support has been added.
- Main track-view Edit/Insert,Remove/Range dialog is now being introduced with optional applicability to Clips, Loop, Punch in/out, Automation, Tempo-map and/or Markers.
- New range removal editing tool, split/moving clips backward at the specified edit-head/tail interval (Edit/Remove/Range, Track Range)--by Tuomas Airaksinen, thanks.
- Andy Fitzsimon's original icon from opencliparts.org makes it through as the default standard scalable format (SVG).
- Automation's back in effect on Track/Export Tracks.../Audio.
- Reversed shift/ctrl keyboard modifier roles on middle-button clicking over the main track and MIDI clip editor views (aka. piano-roll) in regression to original old semantics.
- Color selection actions now have a brand new palette icon.
- Make sure main track-view and MIDI clip editor selection is only cleared on specific discrete commands.
- Try keeping the original session file in most recent files menu list, despite current version auto-incremental backup mode is in effect.
- Fixed non-zero clip offsets upon tempo/time-scale changes.
- Some sympathy to extreme dark color (read black) schemes is now indulged on empty backgrounds.
0.5.9 2013-06-06 The Juliet Quebec
0.5.8 2013-03-19 The India Romeo
0.5.7 2012-12-27 The Hotel Sierra
0.5.6 2012-10-02 The Golf Tango
0.5.5 2012-06-15 The Foxtrot Uniform
0.5.4 2012-03-01 The Echo Victor
0.5.3 2011-12-28 The Delta Whisky
0.5.2 2011-12-16 The Charlie X-ray
0.5.1 2011-10-05 The Bravo Yankee
0.5.0 2011-07-22 The Alpha Zulu (TYOQA)