| News || |
Full Circle Podcast Episode 31, The Difficult Third Episode!!
In this episode Olly & Tony bring everyone up-to-date with what´s been going on in the ¨Summer Break¨, Olly talks about his new gnomebuntu install, Codeacadamy and Tony talks about his new toy, the Nexus 7
Running Time: 57 minutes 45 seconds
Feeds for both MP3 and OGG:
RSS feed, MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed
RSS feed, OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed/atom
The podcast is in MP3 and OGG formats. You can either play the podcast in-browser if you have Flash and/or Java, or you can download the podcast with the link underneath the player. Show notes after the jump.
01:15 | WELCOME and INTRO:
01:55 | Since Last Time
15:05 | NEWS
26:12 | Jon Joins The Recording
26:35 | REVIEW of ASUS Google NEXUS 7
- Tony recently purchase a Asus Google Nexus 7 and shares his first thoughts of living with the device with us.
No option for removable storage
WiFi only, No 3G or HSPA+
PC Tethering/Data Transfer doesn’t work out of the box and requires a little tweaking.
Apps for Google Drive and Dropbox available through Google Play make syncing files through WiFi easy
BBC Iplayer works out of the box using the App in the Play Store.
Makes a really good E book reader using the Kindle App.
- A better alternative to the Amazon Kindle Fire as it´s not locked into the Amazon Eco System.
33:50 | REVIEW of CODEACADAMY
- Code Year was a New Year’s Resolution to learn to code in a year, set up by Codeacademy (a New York City-based startup launched a year ago by two young tech gurus, Zach Sims and Ryan Bubinski)
- Olly joined 281,000 (and counting)others signed up to the pledge to learn to code in year using the Code Academy site
- Takes you through the very basics of Object Oriented Programming using Java Script as a learning tool.
- Site uses a module based learning system for different programming languages
- Library of languages is being added to all the time, Ruby added last week.
40:00 | REVIEW of FULL CIRCLE MAGAZINE #65
- Jon – Has been reading the Humble Indie Bundle V review in the Ubuntu Games section on page 54 of the magazine. He also discusses the news of Steam coming to Linux
- Olly – Is considering getting back into producing videos for Youtube and looked with interest at the second part of the Kdenlive Series written by Ronnie on page 16. Considering his woes with ecrypfs back in August he decided to check out the Encyption How-To on page 13 to see if he could pick up any pointers.
- Tony – Unfortunately this month Tony has been rather busy with University and placement work he´s not had as much time to read the magazine as he’d like.
50:50 | EVENTS
- HACK Manchester – One of the largest coding competitions in the country is taking place this weekend Saturday 27th to Sunday 28th October at the MOSI, Liverpool Road, Castlefield Manchester. https://hackmanchester.com/
- FLOSS UK Unconference – 1st Floor, The Davidson Building, 5 Southampton Street, London on Saturday 27th October. http://www.flossuk.org/Events/Unconference2012
- Internet of Things Howduino – an Arduino hack day being held at DoES Liverpool, Gostins Building, Hanover Street, Liverpool on the 3rd and 4th November. http://www.howduino.com/
- Mozilla Festival 2012 – An open web festival which is annually organised by the Morzilla Foundation takes place from 9th to 11th November 2012 at Ravensbourne, 6 Penrose Way, Greenwich Peninsula, London. http://mozillafestival.org/
- If you are aware of any Geek or Tech events happening in your area and you would like to publicise them please email them to use at email@example.com
53:00 | FEEDBACK
- We had some feedback from Grant Paton-Simpson via the website he suggested Tony should check out his statistics application called SOFA which is Python based and is licensed under the Affero GPL. Grant is one of the developers of SOFA, it´s always nice to here about new software projects, if you are a developer and you would like to publicise your project please get in touch.
- We also had some feedback from Mike Stewart, again via the website who was suggesting that we seemed abit sleepy in Episode 30, Olly explained that due to a number of technical difficulties the record time had been quite lengthy and we were feeling the effects. We will endeavour to make the show a lot pacey-er in future!!
56:03 | OUTRO AND WRAP
Comments: on this page, using the comment form, OR;
Send us a comment to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also send us a comment by recording an audio clip of no more than 30 seconds and sending it to the same address. Comments and audio may be edited for length. Please remember this is a family-friendly show.
Please note: this podcast is provided with absolutely no warranty whatsoever; neither the producers nor Full Circle Magazine accept any responsibility or liability for content or interaction which readers and listeners may enter into using external links gleaned from this web-site, forum or podcast series.
Creative Commons Music Tracks